*This post may contain affiliate links. This is a sponsored post for Family Christian. All opinions are my own.*
In his book, Before Amen ~ The Power of a Simple Prayer, Max Lucado takes us through what he calls a pocket prayer. The pocket prayer is just twenty one words long, but simple enough to remember when praying throughout the day. Each chapter is devoted to a phrase in the prayer. Lucado explains each phrase through stories, Bible lessons, and every day situations.
What is the pocket prayer? It's a simple eight phrase prayer that everyone can easily remember.
Father...Lucado explains to us that in reality, this word, means Daddy. Even if we are just able to utter the words "Oh Father" in our prayer, our Father, God, will hear us and helps us. He already knows our needs.
As he goes through each phrase in the prayer, we learn something about that phrase and how it helps us when we whisper that phrase to God.
You are good...God is good all the time. We should trust him because he is good to us and takes care of us.
I need help...When we are in need of help, all we need to do is pray.
Heal me...Are you under the weather today? Are you waiting on some news from the doctor about some tests you had done? Pray this simple phrase for God's healing touch. "If Jesus heals you instantly, praise him. If you are still waiting for healing, trust him. Your suffering is your sermon."
Forgive me...When we confess our sins to God through prayer, he forgets our sins. We are to confess our sins throughout the day. God knows we are not perfect and he forgives and forgets each time.
They need help...What happens when you have friends or family going through a difficult time and you can't help? You just call their name to God and he will help them. "You are never more like Jesus than when you pray for others."
Thank you...We are to thank God for everything in our life. Even if we are dying from cancer, we are to thank God. Everyone can find at least one thing to be thankful for. Have you thanked God today?
In Jesus' Name...When Jesus speaks, the wind and the waves obey. Even Satan must obey Jesus. "Prayers offered in the name of Jesus have 'divine power to demolish strongholds' (2 Corinthians 10:4 NIV)."
This book was a great book to read, especially right now at the beginning of the year. Prayer is something I can use some help with, I loved the pocket prayer idea and it is so easy to remember that I find myself praying more often for my needs, others needs, and just thanking God for all that he has done. I enjoyed reading this book on prayer. The book also includes a study guide at the end for each chapter. The study guide goes into more depth with scripture reading, memorizing scripture, and ideas to use for praying. There is also a prayer strengths guide at the end.
About the author:
More than 120 million readers have found inspiration and encouragment in the writings of max Lucado. He serves the people of Oak Hills Church in San Antonio, Texas, where he lives with his wife Denalyn, and a sweet but misbehaving mutt, Andy.
*DISCLOSURE OF MATERIAL PROVIDED: I received a copy of this book from the Family Christian for review purposes. I was not compensated for this review, nor was I required to write a positive review. The opinions expressed in this review are entirely my own.*
My menu plan for this week:
Monday ~ Roast beef with potatoes, mushrooms, and other veggies
Tuesday ~ BBQ Chicken leg quarters with some veggies
Wednesday ~ Veggie beef soup
Thursday ~ Sesame chicken and fried rice
Friday ~ Homemade pizza
Saturday ~ ??
I am linking up over at I'm An Organizing Junkie.
2. I was going to participate in Family, Faith, and Fridays 34 weeks of cleaning this week, but only got one cabinet cleaned out. I am still going to try to finish and get my post linked up over there.
3. Researching curriculum for next year. My oldest will be in 8th grade!
4. It is rainy. It has rained so much this winter. Last year we had snow- lots of snow. That is North Carolina weather for you.
5. I can bake most any type of dessert. I have made 3 pans of brownies in the last week and none of them have turned out. I cannot make brownies. I have never had any brownie recipe turn out good. Any other dessert recipe I can do. I'm not sure why I can't make brownies.
I am linking up over at The Pebble Pond.
I chose the word committed because I am learning twenty four Bible verses this year. I found the plan on Beth Moore's blog.
The first verse I memorized was I Peter 5:6 ~ Humble yourselves therfore under the mighty hand of God, that he may exalt you in due time.
My verse for January 15- 31 is Proverbs 31:30 ~ Favour is deceitful, and beauty is vain: but a woman that feareth the Lord, she shall be praised.
I don't really have a plan as to what verses I will be learning throughout the year, just that I am committed to learning twenty four verses.
Are any of you learning Bible verses with Beth Moore? I'd love to hear what verses you have chosen.
2. I'm in a dinner rut. It seems like I am always making the same meals over and over again, but when I try a new recipe, my family never seems to like them even though I think they are great.
3. In one month I will have a teenager! Where did the time go?
4. The almost 13 year old has surprised me this week. We are on writing paragraphs unit for grammar and he has done so well writing some of the paragraphs they ask for.
5. Looking forward to a girls day tomorrow with my two beautiful girls.
I am linking up over at The Pebble Pond.
Be sure to head over to I'm An Organizing Junkie to see more menu plans.
My Weekly Dinner Menu Plan:
Monday ~ Roast beef
Tuesday ~ Chicken stroganoff
Wednesday ~ Lentil tacos
Thursday ~ Leftovers
Friday ~ Chili
1. I had 3 reviews due this week all right in a row. So, that means there are 3 giveaways going on right now and you can enter them by clicking here.
2. I had one sick girl this week. My oldest daughter had a stomach bug for about 3 days.
3. I cut out sweet tea and soda for this month and I am already down 4 lbs since last Friday.
4. My husband, two boys, and I played a great board game this week (Wisdomantics) and had a lot of fun.
5. I am looking forward to it being spring.
I am linking up at The Pebble Pond with other bloggers for Random 5 on Friday.