1/14/2013

What’s for Lunch?

Do you ever have one of those days when your cupboards are just about bare and you can’t go to the grocery store until the next day?  Or does that only happen to me?  That happens here at least once a month.  My boys love to eat and I always tell them not to eat too much or we will run out of food before I get to the grocery store the next week. 
I had one of those days last week and had no idea what to serve for lunch.  I opened the freezer and found some leftover turkey from Thanksgiving.  I had some leftover rice from our stir fry dinner that we had the day before.  I also had some chicken stock in the freezer.
I started thinking and putting together a plan.   Thaw out the turkey, make a roux for the stock to make a cream of chicken soup.  Throw it all together and voila!  We have turkey and rice casserole for lunch!  My kids love it when I make turkey and rice casserole. 

Here is my “throw together” recipe:
Ingredients
Cooked turkey or chicken- (I don’t measure, but I had about 2 cups and it was good for an 8x8 casserole)
Chicken stock (or 1 –2 cans cream of chicken soup)
Rice- I used about 1 1/2 cups
Stuffing- I use Pepperidge Farm
1/4 C butter – only if making your own cream soup
4 tbsp flour – only if making your own cream soup
Directions
Make a roux with the butter and flour in a saucepan over medium heat.  Pour in the chicken stock and stir until thick.
Put the turkey and rice into a casserole dish.  Pour the soup on top and mix everything together.  Put some stuffing on top.  And stick it in a 350 degree oven for about 30 min.
Note: if you want soft stuffing, mix some of the soup with it; if you want crunchy stuffing, just put it right on top of the turkey and rice mix.
Serve with some sides.

It was delicious and my kids ate it all up.  A quick and easy lunch.

To see what other crew members are up to this week click here.

2 comments:

  1. Yum! We do that a lot here too. I usually call it refrigerator casserole or empty the fridge soup!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds just like a Chicken Casserole I make and my guys love love love it!!

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
UA-40535593-1