2/04/2013

Don’t Throw It Away!






















Did you know you can re-grow celery and lettuce from the base once you have used it all up?  I didn't either until I saw it on pinterest.  After I read this article on it, I decided to give it a try.  I planted one and set it outside.  Well, it didn't get enough water and I accidentally left it out during a freeze.  My first attempt failed.  I was not going to give up.  I had another one and planted that one in a plastic cup and keep it on my kitchen window sill.  I can see it every day to remind me to water it and it gets a lot of sun.  I don’t remember when I planted it (it's been at least 2 months), but this is how it looks today.



It is growing and should be ready to use sometime this spring.  I just rotate it every couple of days to make sure the sun hits every side.

Now, the lettuce.  I read this article on re-growing.  Now, I’m not going to lie.  My first attempt failed again.  I don’t know what happened, because it always had plenty of water.  Again, I was not going to give up.  I put another one in some water just a couple of weeks ago and this is how it looks now.



Don’t be scared to give it a try.  You may be able to save yourself some money this spring.

4 comments:

  1. Wow wow wow!! My daughter would love to grow it and I would love to eat it! I had no idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had no idea this was possible. My daughter will love doing this in our new sun/art room. Thanks for the great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm going to have to pin this one, and give it a go. :)

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
UA-40535593-1