6/08/2013

Doing Things Differently

This past school year, my youngest son had a problem. His work kept disappearing, only to be found a few days later crumpled up and undone. He thought he could get away with not doing his school work.






















When this school year ended, I started brainstorming. What could I do differently? How can I keep him more accountable? I have come up with a few things to keep both of us accountable.

First of all, I am already getting all papers and notes ready for our 2013-2014 school year. I am going to plan 6 weeks at a time. I bought a report folder and have made up a weekly assignment checklist.























I will put each days work inside the folders ~ I did buy one for each of the three older kids. After the school day is done, I will check each folders work and put the next days work into the folder. I will check mark each days work on the assignment list also. I guess this is almost like doing work boxes, but I don't have the room for work boxes.

Another area that we need to work on is using our time wisely. My oldest son likes to daydream. I have been brainstorming some ideas to keep him on task. I think what he needs is to do one subject and take a 5 minute break. The move onto the next subject. It is difficult for him to sit for a long period of time. We use Abeka and there is a good amount of seatwork.























For my oldest daughter, she had some problems with handwriting. She wanted her papers to be perfect and as much as I have explained to her no one can be perfect, she still got upset when she made a mistake. Brainstorming some ideas for here were a little bit more difficult. I am going to have her trace on her  writing page what she needs to write. Some of the writing pages in Abeka, do not have the child trace before writing. I think tracing will help her keep her handwriting neat (the way she wants it to look).

Just a note ~ I also have looked at this past year and have seen where we have excelled. I have seen areas that have worked (and are working) for us that I won't change. Every year, I look back and think "I should have done that differently." Sometimes I don't do it and regret it. Sometimes I do change and it failed. I really hope these few little changes will help keep our school (and home) running more smoothly.

Enjoy this freebie of my Weekly Assignment Checklist.

1 comment:

  1. I love the checklist idea Rebecca! We use one on a ringed notecard book, but I like the idea of one you can reuse over and over. No more I forgot excuses, huh! The glory of homeschooling is being able to find the weaknesses and improve them, and celebrate the successes!

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
UA-40535593-1