9/15/2013

Autumn ~ My Favorite Time of Year

I love this time of year. I know I made a similar post last year, but it never gets old. After enduring a hot, North Carolina summer, it is refreshing to be able to step outside and be able to breathe. It also makes sleeping at night more enjoyable. I also love trying out new recipes during the cooler Autumn days. My favorite Autumn recipes are anything made with pumpkin.

We usually grow our own pumpkins during the summer. We are then able to freeze the flesh and have fresh pumpkin to use all winter. I freeze it raw and steam it right before I need to use it. It worked out well last year.

Since, it is almost fall, I was craving something made with pumpkin last week. We never got a chance to plant any pumpkins this year as it rained almost every single day. If we had planted them they probably would not have turned out anyway from having too much rain. I had to buy canned pumpkin, something I have not had to do for about three years. I decided to make a pumpkin cheesecake (recipe below). It was delicious. In fact, it was so delicious, I almost forgot to take a picture. 




My kids enjoy the fall just as much as I do. They love to go to the nearby state park to hike. They love being able to go outside and not be eaten up by mosquitoes. They love eating pumpkin goodies too!






















Since we do live in Eastern North Carolina, fall temperatures sometimes do not come until mid-October or even later. I remember some years wearing shorts on Thanksgiving Day! We will still start eating fall weather foods and goodies before the temperatures get cooler. When we have fresh/frozen pumpkin, I usually have something made once a week. I make pumpkin bread, pumpkin pie, pumpkin cheesecake, and even pumpkin flan.

We will really miss having our fresh pumpkin this year, but maybe I can get some from the grocery store. It won't be the same since we didn't get to grow it, but it will be nice to have a few fresh pumpkin pies this year.



































Pumpkin Cheesecake

One graham cracker pie crust- I made my own by processing graham crackers with melted butter. Melt butter, grind up graham crackers until fine, mix together, press into pie plate.

1 can pumpkin or 2 cups fresh (steamed and pureed) pumpkin
1 block 8 oz cream cheese
3/4 cup white sugar
2 eggs
1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large bowl combine eggs, cream cheese, and sugar. Beat with an electric beater on medium until smooth. Add pumpkin and spice. Continue beating until well blended. Spoon mixture into pie crust and bake for 40-45 minutes or until set. Let cool and refrigerate.

Click here for a printable recipe

3 comments:

  1. YUM What fun! Thanks for sharing. I'll look forward to more from you this week via the #InspiredBN series. Be blessed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks delicious! Happy (almost)Fall!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this time of year. Your pumpkin cheesecake sound delicious! thanks for sharing the recipe.

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
UA-40535593-1