1/30/2014

Snow Day

It is very unusual for Eastern North Carolina to get snow. The last time we had a big snow was December 2010. That time we had over 7". I was pregnant with my almost 3 year old at the time. We got some snow last year (2013), but it wasn't very much. My almost 3 year old has been praying for it to snow for her birthday. Her birthday is March 2, so it would be unusual to have snow that late in the year. We ended up with a dusting on January 22, and when she saw it, she asked, "Is it my birthday?"

After the dusting, I told her that there was more snow in the forecast for this week. She told me she was going to pray for 10 inches of snow. On Tuesday, January 28, we waited all day. It began sleeting around 2 in the afternoon. It sleeted all evening and I was getting worried that we would not get any snow. That it would just be sleet/ice. We went to bed that evening with it still sleeting.

Wednesday morning we woke up and there it was ~ snow! There was about 3-4 inches of snow. Not the 10 inches my daughter prayed for, but she was still so excited to have some snow.



















We bundled up and headed out the door to play. it was a really powdery snow, so not that great for building a snow man. They made some snow angels and we headed back inside to get warmed up.  Later that afternoon, we bundled back up and they had plowed the road in front of our house. There was some great snowball snow in the plowed up stuff, so we had a small snowball fight.























We also got some clean snow and made two batches of snow cream. I use a big bowl of snow, a can of sweetened condensed milk, and 2-3 tsp of vanilla. I added about a tablespoon of cocoa powder to the 2nd batch and it tasted just like a fudgesicle.























More pictures of our fun:




1 comment:

  1. Hi. I live in North Carolina as well, foothills area. We only got 3 maybe 4 inches of snow! They were forecasting 8-12 for us but it did not come close. We had a great time playing as well. And I have come to the conclusion that I have to make snow creme by taste. If I follow a recipe it comes out different tasting every time. I am a new blogger and would appreciate if you get a chance would you stop by my blog and give me any helpful pointers that you have learned in your time blogging. I am COMPLETELY new at this so I figured the best way to learn is ask some experts. ;) I like how you blog looks! Thanks in advance for any help!
    http://www.becomingblameless.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
UA-40535593-1