3/18/2014

Frugal Living




















The Inspired Bloggers Network issued a challenge ~ Try to buy groceries for $25 per person for a week. Since there are six people (2 adults, 4 children) that live in my house, that challenge puts us at $150 for the week.

My grocery budget for the month is $500, which comes out to $125 each week. I live in a fairly low cost area and I do a lot of my grocery shopping at Aldi. I also shop the sales at Food Lion and sometimes Harris Teeter.

Here is what a typical week of eating looks like for us:

Breakfast ~
We eat cereal, pancakes, eggs, muffins, and oatmeal. I buy a canister of quick oats and we add our own flavors (brown sugar and maple syrup, apple cinnamon, etc)

Lunch ~
I try to make enough at dinner time to have leftovers for lunch the next day. If I don't make enough for leftovers, we will usually eat sandwiches or macaroni and cheese.

Dinner ~
We usually eat things like spaghetti, tacos, soup/chili during the winter, chef salad during the summer with home grown vegetables, chicken pot pie, and bbq chicken.

Snacks~
I buy whatever fruit is on sale or in season. We also like to eat granola bars, raisins, and nuts for snacks.

You can take a look at past menus or find some recipes on my old recipe blog for more ideas. I have also posted some recipes on this blog.

There are some weeks I go over the budget, but there are also weeks I am under budget. It really just depends on what I have in my pantry and deep freezer at the time I go grocery shopping for the week. In the end, I am usually always on budget for the month.


No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
UA-40535593-1