4/30/2014

ARTistic Pursuits: The Way They See It ~ Review
























Many of the reviews that I do are geared for my older children. My three year old sometimes feels left out. She loves to color, draw, and paint. When I saw that ARTistic Pursuits was an upcoming review, I started praying that there would be something on the list especially for preschoolers. When I actually saw that the preschool book, The Way They See It (Preschool), was a choice, I started praying again. I knew my three year old would love this book.

What is ARTistic Pursuits?

ARTistic Pursuits is an art curriculum designed for homeschoolers. They want children to be creative while also learning how to observe things. They combine all of the components of fine art by engaging the students as they explore the different aspects of art.

ARTistic Pursuits Review





ARTistic Pursuits offers curriculum for Preschool through High School.They have also recently just released two brand new books about Sculpture Technique: Construct and Sculpture Technique: Model.

The preschool book, The Way They See It, which I reviewed with my three year old, is geared for children ages 3-5. It sells for $47.95. This book contains 26 lessons plus 10 additional projects.

ARTistic Pursuits Review





















This book is spiral bound, soft cover, and has many colorful illustrations. It includes a table of contents page that lists all of the lessons. It also includes a materials page that lists all of the materials needed for the entire book. You can also purchase a Preschool Art Pack from their website if you are not able to find the materials where you live.

How I used The Way They See It:

When the book first arrived, I glanced through it to see the different lessons. My daughter is a young three having just turned three in March, so I wanted to make sure the lessons would not be too difficult. The only thing that caught my attention was the usage of scissors (I'll tell you about this later). Everything else seemed fun and easy enough for her to do.


 Each lesson has three parts: Grown-up Talk, Picture Talk, and Art Project. (As seen to the left the project is called Discover Art Project.)

I would read the Grown-up talk ahead of time, usually the night before I did the art lesson with my daughter.

The next day, I would sit down with her and discuss the picture under Picture Talk. There are question prompts for you to ask your child. My daughter is observant and could point out most of the things in the picture that was being asked. For example, "A little bug crawls out of one of the flowers. Can you find it?" She looked all over the picture until she saw the little bug crawling out of the flower.

The final part of the lesson was the art project. These can be anywhere from coloring to painting to sculpting with play-dough.  My daughter loved doing the art projects. She would get so excited when I pulled everything out.We did a lesson a week.

This project the child was suppose to draw a picture in the paint with their fingers, but she didn't quite understand even after I showed her. I just let her have fun doing her own thing.














Here she was to create something out of play-dough. We made our own play-dough from a website I found in a Google search. I didn't have cream of tartar so I needed a recipe that didn't use one. I found a fast and easy play-dough recipe on From The Mrs. blog.












Making her creation. And in case you haven't noticed, her favorite color is yellow. :)















Her play-dough creation!
















Finally, about the scissors. The lessons at the end of the book are called First Skills. It mentions using scissors, how to hold a pencil, gluing and taping, and paint brushes. I went to the store and was going to just buy some blunt tip scissors. When I was looking at the scissors, I noticed that they had come out with scissors that have a spring action (see below).


I decided to go ahead and buy them and see how she handled them. It took her a few times of me showing her how to hold them properly, but she got the hang of it and can now cut great using these scissors.









My opinion of The Way They See It:

My daughter and I loved this book. She would start jumping up and down getting excited when I pulled the book and the materials out for the day. I liked how the lessons are set up. They are so simple to follow and it gets the parent and child to interact with each other. I also liked that they would ask specific questions about the pictures/paintings in the book that made the child really have to look at each and observe what was going on. I also liked that the art projects were fairly simple. I would definitely give this preschool curriculum 5 stars!


Click to read Crew Reviews








1 comment:

  1. Great review - we LOVE ARTistic Pursuits! Such a great curriculum!

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
UA-40535593-1