6/25/2014

Go Science (Series 2) DVD’s ~ Review



We recently were given two Go Science (Series 2) DVD’s from Library and Educational Services to review.  Library and Educational Services is a wholesale distributor that sells products to homeschools, churches, missionaries, schools, and some others. They have been in business for 35 years. They offer material that is wholesome and Christian related.

goscience

About Go Science DVD’s:

The Go Science Series 2 DVD’s are a collection of segments that were originally shown on a Christian television broadcast. They are hosted by Ben Roy. He has an audience of children where he picks out a few to be his volunteers. There are approximately 10-15 segments (of experiments) on each DVD. Each segment lasts approximately 3-10 minutes. Each DVD has about one hour of science experiments on them. Ben Roy tells the children which experiments are safe to do at home and which are probably not safe (fire tornado). He also talks about the Bible and God throughout the experiments.

These DVD’s are recommended for ages 4-12 and are available for $8.97 each or $59.82 for the set of seven.



Our DVD’s:

We picked out Volume 2 and Volume 6 to review.

Volume 2 is about Life Science and Weather and has the following experiments on the DVD:

Life Science:
  • Flashlight-Animal Eyes
  • Animal Skulls
  • Bobby Pins
  • What Are You Looking At?
  • How Much Do Your Lungs Hold?
  • Eating Nails for Breakfast
  • Naked Eggs
Weather:
  • Fire Tornado
  • Ping Pong Cannon
  • Liquid Nitrogen Cloud
  • Cloud in a Bottle
  • Garbage Can Vortex
Volume 6 is about Chemistry and has the following experiments:

Chemistry 1:
  • Milk and Food Coloring
  • Elephant's Toothpaste
  • Stains
  • Staying Dry-Diapers
  • Lava Lamp
Chemistry 2:
  • Instant Snow
  • Silly Slime
  • Hydrogen Bubbles
  • Grain Elevator
  • HHO Generator
  • Mentos Fountain

 

How we used the DVD’s:

My boys (the science lovers in the house) wanted to watch the Life Science/ Weather (Volume 2) DVD first. Since these DVD’s are an hour long, I had them watch 3-4 segments at a time. Even though you are able to choose which segment you want to watch from the main menu, we watched them in order so I could remember where we left off. My boys favorite experiments from the volume 2 DVD were naked eggs and fire tornado. My 8 year old daughter said her favorite one was the garbage can vortex. My 3 year old also enjoyed watching the segments.

After we finished volume 2, we watched volume 6, chemistry. We again only watched 3-4 segments at a time on this DVD. My favorite experiment on this DVD was the instant snow. My boys  and older daughter liked the silly slime experiment best.

What we thought:
My boys and girls did like watching the videos, but my oldest who is 12, thought they were a little “babyish” for his age level. He did say he liked watching all of the experiments, but wanted something more mature. He also told me, “Since I want to be a Creationist, I liked how Mr. Roy talked about how the Bible fits in with the experiments.”

My 10 year old son said he enjoyed the experiments and “we should watch them again during the school year.” My 8 year old said she liked them and would watch it again during science time.

My thoughts: I enjoyed watching these with my kids. Mr. Roy is very energetic and loves to get the children in the audience involved. He explains the experiments well. We will definitely use these videos during our science time in the fall, especially if the segment pertains to what we are learning. I really liked how Mr. Roy tied in the Bible and God with each experiment and always ended each segment with the same quote ~ “Every time we learn something about science, we learn something about our Creator...God!"

I liked that when you put the DVD in, there was a main menu to choose which segment you want to watch. That will help in the future when trying to find a specific segment. I do wish the experiments were listed on the DVD case, though. But that is such a minor thing. I am giving these DVD’s 5 stars.







No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
UA-40535593-1