10/13/2014

Plan To Be Flexible ~ Review

I was recently given the opportunity to review the book, Plan To Be Flexible: Designing A Homeschool Rhythm and Curriculum Plan that Works for Your Family by Alicia Kazsuk.

Alicia Kazsuk is the founder of Vibrant Homeschooling and is a regular, homeschool mom of four children. She is a blogger, author, and speaker. She founded Vibrant Homeschooling and wrote Plan To Be Flexible to help other homeschool moms.

About the book:

Plan To Be Flexible gives you ideas and stories that allow you to examine your homeschool. In this book, you will analyze what is and is not working in your homeschool, develop a plan, discover the secret to homeschool sanity, and learn how to homeschool with freedom. Plan To Be Flexible is available in print or kindle format.

My review:

When I first started reading the book, I felt like Alicia was in my living room talking to me as a friend. This book is a very easy read and has so much information. I especially liked the action plans at the end of each chapter. I have been homeschooling for nine years and can still use all the help I can get. I think each year I try something new to keep my sanity and keep from burning out, but nothing works or I don't stick with my plan.

Alicia wrote about things I had not even thought of before. For example, take your children out on a special one on one date and ask them what they thought about the curriculum they used the past year. Write down their thoughts. Listen to them.  What works for one of your children may not work for another. I have learned that children are not a one size fits all. I have had to take a look at the curriculum I chose for my oldest as some of it did not work for my daughter. I had to find what worked best for her. She still has a melt down every now and then, but she is a lot happier with the curriculum I chose (from Schoolhouse Crew reviews) for her.

I also love that she wrote about not being a slave to a schedule. One year I did try to schedule my homeschool day (start at 8 AM, math at 8:30 AM, grammar at 9:15 AM, etc). It did not work at all. I threw the schedule out and now we just go with the flow. Some days we get done before lunch and some days it is after lunch. I don't worry about being on schedule anymore.

She also mention to sit down and set up a master school calendar. Determine what your state requires, write (type) in any holidays you want to take off from school, vacation days, any special museum days that you already know about, and any extra-curricular activities. I did try to set up a master calendar this year. I wanted to school for 6 weeks, take 1 week off. Life happens and I have not been able to stick to that plan. Having been interrupted by in-laws in the hospital, the chapter about "When Life Interrupts Your 'Perfect' Rythym" was something I needed to read. We had to do some of the things suggested. School on the road or skip lessons for the day. We also were able to take a field trip in the city where my mother-in-law is in the hospital. Life happens, but you can still homeschool.

Alicia also talks about learning environments and homeschooling with joy and freedom.

As I mentioned before, each chapter is followed by an action plan to get you thinking about your homeschool. There is also an appendix in the book with several assessment questions, resources for supplemental curriculum, and additional helpful resources.

I just highlighted a few of my favorite chapters. I loved reading this book. It has given me so many new ideas and tips to try out. I highly recommend this book to any homeschool mom, no matter if they are a veteran or just starting out.

Check out Vibrant Homeschooling and subscribe to the email list for some great freebies.

Now for the giveaway. Enter by using the Rafflecopter below. The contest is open to residents in the USA only. Thanks.

a Rafflecopter giveaway

I received a complimentary copy of this book from the author, which requires an honest, though not necessarily positive, review.

4 comments:

  1. We don't take long breaks. Just keep plugging along. Basically, we finish one thing and start the next. So I don't plan our year, just cover the subjects we need and move through the books we're using.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I plan a good portion of it in one big swoop -- and then add (or subtract) as life happens.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We do six weeks on and 1 week off. I have a newborn, two toddlers and my two big kids who *attempt* schoolwork during the day. ;) This book would be a great help!

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
UA-40535593-1