Having children who love art, but not being able to draw anything myself, I am always on the lookout for good art programs for our homeschool. For the past few weeks, we have been using the Entire Level I from ArtAchieve.
What is ArtAchieve?
ArtAchieve is a series of online courses that was developed by John Hofland. The project was created when John and his wife were homeschooling their children. He had a career in arts and language arts and has visited over 30 countries which helped in the development of the program.
What is included in Entire Level I?
There are eleven lessons included in level I. The first two lessons are free on the website for any one to try out before buying. The lessons include:
- Simple Lines (free)
- The Czech Cat (free)
- The Hungarian Insects
- The Haitian Gecko
- The Dragonfly from Ecuador
- The Chinese Dragon
- The Owl from Bali
- The Kitenge Tree Wall Hanging from Tanzania
- The Plate from Nepal
- Four Suns with Four Faces
- The Sheep from Wales
Not only do you learn how to draw in the lessons you also get a history lesson. For example, in The Hungarian Insects lesson, we were given some background about these insects in Hungary. We were also given facts about insects.
You are given the choice to watch a video of the lesson or to go through a power point of the lesson. We chose to use the power point for each lesson. Each lesson starts off with learning about the country or object you are drawing.
Then, it tells you what supplies are needed and gives some relaxation tips. For the warm up, you print off a warm up page to become familiar with the lines in the drawing.
After doing the warm up, the slides go through each step to create your masterpiece. When you are finished drawing, you are to add color to your drawings.
The supplies needed for level I are simple. A fine point permanent marker, markers, watercolors, oil pastels, and liquid acrylic paint to name a few. You can click here and then click on each lesson to see the needed supplies. Each lesson takes about 60 minutes to complete from start to finish. The videos last about 25 minutes. It can be more or less depending on how fast or slow you want to go through the lesson.
A sample of our drawings:
What we thought about ArtAchieve:
We loved it. We loved learning the background behind each drawing. We loved learning the facts about the insects and geckos. And, we loved our drawings and how simple and easy these lessons are to follow.
Several things I like about this art program:
- I, the teacher, do not have to know how to draw. In fact, I did the drawings with my kids and I think my drawings came out good. See my gecko below on the right.
- It really is a relaxing experience. My kids did not become frustrated with not knowing how to do the drawing. They loved the step by step directions.
- It is planned out. You only need to buy the supplies before hand.
- Your child can work independently.
- You are given a 1 year license for each lesson you purchase. You can go through the lesson as many times in a year as you want and create it differently each time.
We definitely give this art course a 5 star rating!