1/17/2017

Men and Women of the Bible ~ Blogging through the Alphabet (A)






















Welcome to the first week of blogging through the alphabet. I have decided to highlight a man and woman from the Bible each week that corresponds to the letter I am writing about. There may be some weeks that only have a man from the Bible highlighted if there are no woman with the letter I am on.

Abigail: "of joy"

She was the wife of Nabal and after he died, King David. You can find her story in 1 Samuel 25:14-42. Abigail is described as a beautiful woman and full of understanding. She was a Godly woman even when she was married to the wicked Nabal.

There are three characteristics of Abigail:
  • She was wise 
  • She was courageous
  • She was faithful
1 Samuel 25:32-33 ~ And David said to Abigail, Blessed be the Lord God of Israel, which sent thee this day to meet me: And blessed be thy advice, and blessed be thou, which hast kept me this day from coming to shed blood, and from avenging myself with mine own hand.

1 Samuel 25:40-41 ~ And when the servants of David were come to Abigail to Carmel, they spake unto her, saying, David sent us unto thee, to take thee to him to wife. And she arose, and bowed herself on her face to the earth, and said, Behold, let thine handmaid be a servant to wash the feet of the servants of my lord.

Abraham: "father of a multitude"

He was Sarah's husband and the father of Isaac and other sons. You can find his story in Genesis 11-25. He was a great man that was used by God. 

There are some things we can learn from Abraham:
  • He was older when God called him to set out on his journey ~ God can and will use us at any age.
  • He trusted God ~ If God told us to take our only son and offer him as a sacrifice, would we do it?
  • He obeyed God ~ He left his family when God told him and he took his son to offer as a sacrifice with no questions.
  • He relied on God to provide what was needed.
Genesis 22:8 ~ And Abraham said, My son, God will provide himself a lamb for a burnt offering: so they went both of them together.

Genesis 22:15-18 ~ And the angel of the Lord called unto Abraham out of heaven the second time, And said, By myself have I sworn, saith the Lord, for because thou hast done this thing, and hast not withheld thy son, thine only son: That in blessing I will bless thee, and in multiplying I will multiply thy seed as the stars of the heaven, and as the sand which is upon the sea shore; and thy seed shall possess the gate of his enemies; And in thy seed shall all the nations of the earth be blessed; because thou hast obeyed my voice.


A Net In Time Schooling

10 comments:

  1. oh... this should be an interesting series. thanks for linking up. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is going to be great. I just read about Abraham this morning!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the theme you've chosen. There is so much to learn from both of these. Abigail is such a great example of grace and courage. Looking at Abraham shows us how to live a life of faith.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this theme. Abigail is an example of faithfulness, hospitality, and wisdom.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I look forward to following up each week. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this series! Great idea and I can't wait to read it every week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fun theme! I can't wait to read the next ones.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fun series! I can't wait to keep reading!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great theme for Blogging Through the Alphabet! Will be interesting to see what you learn - and can pass along - about Bible characters.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What wonderful theme for your series! :)

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
UA-40535593-1