2/14/2017

Men and Women of the Bible ~ Blogging through the Alphabet (E)

Blogging through the Alphabet Men and Women of the Bible

We are already to letter E of our blogging through the alphabet series. I am enjoying studying and writing about these men and women of the Bible. This week we will focus on Elisabeth and Eli.

Elisabeth: “God is my oath”

We learn about Elisabeth in Luke 1. Elisabeth and her husband, Zacharias, were both Godly people. They were “righteous before God, walking in all the commandments of the Lord blameless.” (Luke 1:6) But, Elisabeth was barren and now she was older. Her and Zacharias had prayed for a child for many years. Elisabeth was also a descendant of Aaron. When Elisabeth and Zacharias least suspected, God had worked a miracle. Elisabeth was with child. She was going to have a baby boy. Her child, John, was going to make the way for the Messiah. She was visited by her young cousin Mary and her child “leaped in her womb.” Elisabeth knew then that Mary was carrying the Lord.

Luke 1:13 ~ But the angel said unto him, Fear not, Zacharias: for thy prayer is heard; and thy wife Elisabeth shall bear thee a son, and thou shalt call his name John.

Luke 1:24-25 ~ And after those days his wife Elisabeth conceived, and hid herself five months, saying, Thus hath the Lord dealt with me in the days wherein he looked on me, to take away my reproach among men.

Luke 1:41 ~ And it came to pass, that, when Elisabeth heard the salutation of Mary, the babe leaped in her womb; and Elisabeth was filled with the Holy Ghost:

Luke 1:80 ~ And the child grew, and waxed strong in spirit, and was in the deserts till the day of his shewing unto Israel.

Eli: “ascent”

We learn about Eli in the book of I Samuel. He was a high priest at the tabernacle in Shiloh. He had two sons that also served in the tabernacle, but they did not know the Lord. He was in the tabernacle one evening and saw Hannah. She was praying, but Eli thought she was drunk. She told him that she was petitioning before the Lord and he sent her away. Hannah did conceive and gave birth to Samuel. When the time came for Samuel to be weaned, Hannah brought him back to the temple to Eli. Samuel lived with Eli and was taught and cared for by Eli. Some years later when Eli was old, the Lord called Samuel in the night. Samuel went in to Eli, but Eli told him it was not him that called him, but the Lord. It was then that Eli confirmed Samuel as a prophet to the Lord. Eli son’s died when they went to battle. They thought the Ark of the Covenant would protect them, but God was not with them. When Eli heard this news, he fell out of his chair, broke his neck and died.

I Samuel 1:14 ~ And Eli said unto her, How long wilt thou be drunken? put away thy wine from thee.

I Samuel 3:8-9 ~ And the Lord called Samuel again the third time. And he arose and went to Eli, and said, Here am I; for thou didst call me. And Eli perceived that the Lord had called the child. Therefore Eli said unto Samuel, Go, lie down: and it shall be, if he call thee, that thou shalt say, Speak, Lord; for thy servant heareth. So Samuel went and lay down in his place.

I Samuel 4:18 ~ And it came to pass, when he made mention of the ark of God, that he fell from off the seat backward by the side of the gate, and his neck brake, and he died: for he was an old man, and heavy. And he had judged Israel forty years.

7 comments:

  1. I appreciate your research and thought you put into these posts :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing I'm still enjoying each week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love both of these stories. Great choices!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Elizabeth! Her story is one of the first ones that I had memorized. Thank you for sharing this with us!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for sharing! I look forward to your posts each week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We have an E, Ezekial. Only I was asked to spell it right after my section and I misspelled it. We weren't trying to be "those parents." I honestly blanked. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I here I was thinking you'd do Ezekiel for "E" So I came and was surprised. Good choices these two.

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
UA-40535593-1