3/08/2017

Men and Women of the Bible ~ Blogging through the Alphabet (H)

Blogging through the Alphabet Men and Women of the Bible

There are so many great people in the Bible and there are also many not so great people. It is difficult to choose which person I should write about, but this week I’ve decided to write about Hadassah and Hezekiah.

Hadassah: “myrtle or bride”

We find Hadassah’s story in the book of Esther. Why? Because Esther’s birth name was Hadassah. Hadassah lived with relatives because her parents had died. Mordecai, her adoptive father and her cousin, brought her to the King’s house after the Queen had died. The king’s servants had decided to search for a young virgin for him. When Hadassah was brought before the king, he found her to be the most beautiful and loved her above all the other young virgins. Mordecai stayed at the palace and was sitting outside one night when he heard two guards plan to kill the King. Mordecai immediately told Esther who then told the King of the guard’s plan. Later on, a man named Haman is upset with Mordecai and plans to kill the Jews. Mordecai makes sure Esther knows about this so she can talk to the king. Unfortunately, Esther never told the king that she was Jewish so she has no idea how he will respond to her. Esther fasted before approaching the King and invited him and Haman to a banquet where she tells the king about Haman’s plan. The King is restless and can’t sleep and asks them to read him some record books. Fast forward and Esther finally reveals that she is a Jew and that she needs to be able to save her people. It took a lot of patience for Hadassah/Esther to keep her secret. She needed to tell it at just the right time.

Esther 2:7 ~ And he brought up Hadassah, that is, Esther, his uncle's daughter: for she had neither father nor mother, and the maid was fair and beautiful; whom Mordecai, when her father and mother were dead, took for his own daughter.

Esther 2:17 ~ And the king loved Esther above all the women, and she obtained grace and favour in his sight more than all the virgins; so that he set the royal crown upon her head, and made her queen instead of Vashti.

Esther 5:2 ~ And it was so, when the king saw Esther the queen standing in the court, that she obtained favour in his sight: and the king held out to Esther the golden sceptre that was in his hand. So Esther drew near, and touched the top of the sceptre.

Esther 7:2-5 ~ And the king said again unto Esther on the second day at the banquet of wine, What is thy petition, queen Esther? and it shall be granted thee: and what is thy request? and it shall be performed, even to the half of the kingdom. Then Esther the queen answered and said, If I have found favour in thy sight, O king, and if it please the king, let my life be given me at my petition, and my people at my request: For we are sold, I and my people, to be destroyed, to be slain, and to perish. But if we had been sold for bondmen and bondwomen, I had held my tongue, although the enemy could not countervail the king's damage. Then the king Ahasuerus answered and said unto Esther the queen, Who is he, and where is he, that durst presume in his heart to do so?

Hezekiah: “whom Jehovah has strengthened”

We find Hezekiah’s story in the book of 2 Kings. He was the son of King Ahaz, who was an evil king. He was 25 years old when he began to reign and reigned for 29 years. Hezekiah was a good king who did what was “right in the eyes of the Lord.” During his reign, he purified the temple and was able to get rid of the idols. Hezekiah knew that Jerusalem would come under attack, so he had started fortifying the walls, building tunnels, and building towers. Hezekiah became very sick, but began to pray. He lived for another 15 years. It’s amazing to me when I read about a good king who had a terrible father but they turned out to be good. I’m sure those good king’s would give God all the glory.

2 Kings 18:1-3 ~ Now it came to pass in the third year of Hoshea son of Elah king of Israel, that Hezekiah the son of Ahaz king of Judah began to reign. Twenty and five years old was he when he began to reign; and he reigned twenty and nine years in Jerusalem. His mother's name also was Abi, the daughter of Zachariah. And he did that which was right in the sight of the Lord, according to all that David his father did.

2 Kings 20:4-6 ~ And it came to pass, afore Isaiah was gone out into the middle court, that the word of the Lord came to him, saying, Turn again, and tell Hezekiah the captain of my people, Thus saith the Lord, the God of David thy father, I have heard thy prayer, I have seen thy tears: behold, I will heal thee: on the third day thou shalt go up unto the house of the Lord. And I will add unto thy days fifteen years; and I will deliver thee and this city out of the hand of the king of Assyria; and I will defend this city for mine own sake, and for my servant David's sake.

Be sure to check out my A-G posts:
A ~ Abigail and Abraham
B ~ Bathsheba and Boaz
C ~ Claudia and Caleb
D ~ Deborah and Daniel
E ~ Elisabeth and Eli
F ~ Female at the Well and Felix
G ~ Gomer and Gideon

I’m linking up with Annette and Amanda.

3 comments:

  1. I love the story of Hadassah. This weekend begins the Feast of Lots or known as Purim. We celebrate this every year and retell the story of the Book of Esther with a play, puppets, and a carnival. It's also a time to give to others in need. My kids look forward to this every year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Book of Esther is one of my absolute favorites! Thanks for reminding me about her patience and faith!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, Hezekiah, what a wonderful model! Even if your background is sketchy, you can still be good! I love this about this post!

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
UA-40535593-1