4/04/2017

Memoria Press ~ Iliad/Odyssey Review

Iliad & Odyssey Review

Now that my boys are in and getting to the high school level, I have been trying to find some great literature for them to read. My oldest read several different literature books this year for school, but I felt there were too many and he was rushing through them. He did turn out some good reports for the books he read, so maybe he didn’t rush. Regardless, when I saw the Iliad & Odyssey Complete Set from Memoria Press up for review, I was hoping I would be able to review this myself to see if it would be a good fit for my children.

What comes in the Iliad & Odyssey Complete Set?

Everything you need to be able to read through and teach each book.

  • Iliad
  • Iliad Student Guide
  • Iliad Teacher Guide
  • Iliad DVDs
  • Odyssey
  • Odyssey Student Guide
  • Odyssey Teacher Guide
  • Odyssey DVDs

The teacher guide gives helpful information that will help you in scheduling, organizing, and teaching. The teacher guide is equipped with all of the answers to the student guide as well as giving help about discussions and writing assignments. There is also an appendix that is full of information like the genealogies, names that are used in the books, and character references. All of the test and test answers are included in the teacher guide.

The student guide has many thought provoking questions for each book in The Iliad and The Odyssey as well as quotations and discussion questions. There is also an appendix with names, genealogy, and character reference.

The books written by Homer have been translated by Samuel Butler which makes it easier for children to understand.

PicMonkey Collage

How I used The Iliad:

I have never read The Iliad or The Odyssey. I chose to start with The Iliad since it is intended to be read first. When I received the package, I watched the introductory video. The video gave a lot of information about the background and pronounced the names for us to be able to hear them. There is also a video to be watched after reading through each book. The DVD was very helpful, even for me as an adult. I read through each book in The Iliad, answered the questions in the student book, and watched the video for that book.

video sample

What I thought and how I will use this with my children in the future:

I thought this program was very helpful with a lot of great information provided in the DVD’s. Although the book itself was not a very exciting read, I did look forward to watching the videos for a better understanding of what was happening. I am confident that my children will learn a lot from reading the books and watching the videos. I plan to continue with reading The Odyssey and going through the videos.

I am going to use these books with my soon to be 9th and 10th grade boys. I will read this book aloud to them and have them go through the questions in the student book separately (the student book is available for separate purchase so they are both able to have one), and have them watch the videos together.

Be sure to go the Memoria Press website to see samples of The Iliad & The Odyssey Complete Set.

2 Click Here to Read More Reviews 2016_zpsmmmkbumm

 

3 Crew Disclaimer 2016_zpscwpb9ywe

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
UA-40535593-1